Friday, May 30, 2014

CraftingCon Tour!! - Day 5

Eek! CraftingCon continues today - and It's-a-ME, with Mario and Toad (Toadette?)! CraftingCon is a monthly competition with all sorts of gloriously geeky themes, as well as tutorials, guest posts, and more! Make sure you keep watching Mae & K and Friends Stitched Together each month for all the fun!

When I saw all the themes for CraftingCon I was hooked on Mario from the start. The games my daughters will likely play will be very different from the games I grew up with, but (so far) the clothes haven't changed (much), and the classic Mario outfits are full of inspiration for fun looks for kids!


I used the Tabitha pants by Felicity Patterns - it's an elastic waist pants pattern that can be used with or without the straps, and I love the big pockets! My toddler loves the pockets too, and the straps are just so darn CUTE (even if they do fall off her shoulders!) I love how she wears them pulled up so high! So adorably geeky.


Along with the pants I made a simple red tee. I started with Jocole's knit peasant tee pattern for the basic shape, but modified it slightly, cutting it shorter to fit the tshirt I was upcycling - I cut the shirt out of one of mine, so I used the existing hems on the bottom and the sleeves. The sleeves are cut much smaller (because my shirt wasn't big enough for the pattern pieces ;) ), and I used 1/4" elastic with a casing rather than shirring the neckline. 


For the Toad/Toadette look, I made my littlest a pair of Candy Castle Butterscotch Bloomers and a Little Kiwi's Closet Summer Hi-Lo top. The bloomers are all knit, so they're super comfy, and the hi-lo top is so sweet! Also, I made a Prudent Baby reversible vest (free pattern in 12 mo. size here). The red side has white dots painted on to mimic Toad's mushroom hat.



Our playground just happened to have a slide that looks (maybe a little bit?) like the green tubes Mario gets to jump around in, and it's Natalie's favorite!


In case you missed any of the previous bloggers' posts and want to see the full range of geeky greatness, just click any of the links below!
CraftingCon Announced! {{FriendsStitchedTogether.com and MaeandK.com}}

4 comments:

  1. Adorable! I love how they turned out! And the high waist pants are killing me - kids are so funny! Thanks so much for playing along :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me! I had so much fun!

      Delete
  2. So cute! Love the more feminine approach. Great job

    ReplyDelete